Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Day 8: Hygge, hillbilly style

Hygge is a funny looking little word, a Danish word, that is all about the practice of coziness and simple pleasures.  It's intentionally cultivating and celebrating these things.

So, today, that's what I did. I spent a good part of my day indoors, cleaning house, cooking slow food, reading, and tidying up-and I kind of enjoyed that.  I hadn't had a day like that for a while...just me, at home, piddling.

The sun came out after a few days of overcast skies, so I had to get outdoors and take a walk. I enjoyed that too.  I saw some bright fall color and a lot of green still lingering in the landscape.

This evening, I had a cup of hot tea and sank into our shabby old couch while I watched television for a while.

I've been thinking how we rob ourselves of joy by not being content-with our possessions, with our imperfect selves, with our imperfect loved ones.

I'm not saying we shouldn't continually seek to better our situations, but simply being thankful and content with the ordinary, everyday miracles that surround us adds a richness to our lives that we squander by wallowing in self pity or just being grumpy.

So, yeah.  I'm gonna practice my hygge (hue gah) this winter!





No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...