Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Day 29: Life's evening sun...(A beautiful life)


We headed out early this morning to see the orthopedic doctor who patched up my elbow several weeks ago.

He said I had healed amazingly well, but to limit my activities for about three more weeks, then I'm free to do push-ups or whatever.

The doctor explained that he is like a mechanic who can re-assemble a body part, but every individual's healing is different, and he thinks the mind-body connection is a big part of that.

I have no trouble believing that, because this gal gets white-coat hypertension most every time I go to the doctor.

Thankfully, I have a blood pressure cuff at home, so I can monitor it here and get a truer picture.

But honestly, don't we often feel like we anticipate feeling?  Have you every missed some sleep and complained about how tired you are going to be the next day?

I have.  But sometimes I forget I should be tired, and I'm later surprised that I didn't feel so tired after all.

Yep, we need to be mindful of our thoughts, because they do change our body chemistry and have a big effect on how we feel.

None of us are going to get out of this alive, but we want the quality of our lives to be as good as they can be for as long as possible.

Earlier today, I spoke with someone who recently received a very grim diagnosis from doctors.

She's elderly, but she's sharp as a tack, and she has been blessed with a long healthy life.

That's what she said, "I thank God I've had such good health all these years." She's facing the prospect of her death with strength, and she's not flinching.  I'm amazed and impressed.

I hope that if I'm ever in a similar situation, I'll have the courage to be the same.



My grandparents used to sing this old hymn called, "A Beautiful Life."

"Life's evening sun, is sinking low; 
a few more days, and I must go
to meet the deeds that I have done
where there will be no setting sun." 


No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...