Thursday, November 23, 2017

Day 23: The Gathering Season





I love a big frost.  

I see frost as being cleansing, somehow.  
I imagine the cold as purifying the air, the soil, everything that it touches.  

The cold forces a period of rest upon the natural world, and we humans are pretty much led to follow suit. 
But we need the rest too, especially us farmer types who work such long hours in the spring and summer. 

This morning I went out to traipse around in the crusty frozen grass for a bit...can you tell?  


I snapped a quick pic of frost on the pumpkins and the remnants of a dried morning glory vine.  




But frost was not the only focus of my day.  The remainder of it centered on family... and food! 

We had plenty of good food, and I enjoyed it very much surrounded by family.  

What more could I ask for on Thanksgiving Day?  

It's never more apparent how fast time flies than when three or four generations get together in the same place.  

Seems like no time ago that we were leading our kids into grandma and grandpa's house, but today, it was me leading my grandkids, and how in the world did I become middle-aged? 

I do know this: the faster time flies, the more precious are the gathering seasons. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...