Friday, November 10, 2017

Day 10: Baby, it's cold outside




Brrrrrrr....it feels like winter tonight-and it is NOT winter yet.  

Earlier though, the sky was so blue, the sun so bright and the air so crisp, I decided it was a good time for a walk.  

Even if it wasn't a good day for it, I needed that walk.  
My cholesterol has been creeping up, and I'm sure my desk job contributes to that.  
So, I gotta walk!

While trudging through our field, I noticed this tree with the bent limb.  

What happened to you, little fella, I wondered.  

Now, I've seen this tree many times before.  It has obviously been around a long time, but I began to ponder what might have given the tree it's unique shape.  

Was it a traumatic event? A storm? A weak spot in the trunk? Faulty genetics? A blight? An infestation?

 Something caused the tree to get all bent out of shape.  

It occurred to me that I should extend grace to the bent tree. Maybe I should even admire it.  Whatever bent it did not break it.  

It's still standing, and it's framing the sky in an extraordinary way. 

The tree is beautiful, even in its imperfections. 

And so are we.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...