Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Day 15: Punkin' chunkin's

I've had a few pumpkins and cushaws lying around since I decorated with them at the end of September. Now that it will soon be time to undecorate for fall and put up Christmas stuff, I've been eye-balling those big gourds and thinking I ought not let them go to waste.

So, while I was cooking supper tonight, I put one of the smaller pumpkins in the oven on a cookie sheet and let the heat from the oven soften it up enough to cut it into chunks.

I scraped the seeds out to save to plant next year, then roasted the pumpkin pieces until they were fork tender.

I didn't get it done this evening, but my intention is to use some of it to make a pumpkin casserole.

To me, pumpkin casserole tastes pretty much like a crustless pumpkin pie.  I like it cold for breakfast with coffee.   And it's so easy!  Here's the super-simple recipe.

Pumpkin Casserole

You'll need:

2 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup sugar (I only use about a half cup. I have added a few spoonful of molasses too, which changes the flavor a bit.)
1/2 cup self-rising flour
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
Two pinches cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all the ingredients and spoon into a casserole dish.  Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.


P.S. Was a good day for strolling with the dogs too.  And the girls. 



And for visiting with Dreamer.






No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...