Thursday, November 10, 2022

So dry the fish are dying



 In very dry years, the creeks will turn black from all the decaying leaves that have dropped into the water. 

I’ve always thought that was interesting to see, but this is the first time I’ve noticed fish dying in the black water. 

Maybe it has something to do with this beaver dam slowing what little flow there is in the creek here because this is where I saw the dead fish. 

This photo was taken last week. I saw one fish that appeared to be dying, but this week, I saw 8-10 dead fish caught on this dam. I saw others surfacing and sucking air, poor things. 

What a stink…a peculiar odor of dead fish, rotting leaves, then there was the smoke hanging heavy in the air. Yuck!

This is but one more reason why I am eagerly waiting for tonight’s forecasted rain. We need it to sweep away some decaying leaves and fill up ponds and branches and creeks. 

A lot of folk’s livestock are drinking this black water too!

I don’t see how it can be good for them. 

Let it rain! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...