Friday, November 6, 2020

Teach me your paths

Psalm 25:4 Show me Your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths. 

I don't know what we ever did to deserve such a beautiful stretch of weather in November, but I'll take it.  I'll take it and be just delighted with it.  

There's no better way to spend a perfect fall afternoon than with a walk in the woods.  Honey, my dog, is always eager to go with me.  It's like she reads my mind when I'm about to take a walk.  She gets so excited!  

Sometimes she runs far ahead, and I lose sight of her, but most of the time she seems to be conscious of my whereabouts.  

Her worst fault is not waiting for me when we cross the road. Not the graveled lane in these photos, but the main road where people drive fast.   We've about trained it out of her, but sometimes she still races across, and she definitely does not look both ways.  I get pretty upset with her, and typically yell at her for that disobedience.  

I don't question her devotion, but I do question her obedience--and her judgment-- sometimes.  

Do you think our Father in heaven sees us like that?  Devoted, but prone to wander off?  Mindful of his presence, but pretending we don't see at the same time?

Unh, huh. I'll bet he does. 

He gives us a lot of running room, but we'd do well to pray as the Psalmist, Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths.   

Psalm 17: 5  Uphold my steps in your paths, that my footsteps may not slip
  
"You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." says David the Psalmist.  (Psalm 65:11)

Don't they, though?   




No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...