Friday, November 20, 2020

Day 20: The comfort of routines

 I was never a big fan of Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood when I was a kid. 

I thought the whole show was rather dull. I much preferred to watch Little Joe, Hoss, and Adam Cartwright on the Ponderosa. 

I did find it oddly comforting to watch Mr. Rogers come in and hang up his sweater each afternoon. 

I kind of have that same feeling when I get home from work, change into old clothes or at least muck boots, then head out for a walk and to open the gate for Robin as he sets out a couple of rolls of hay for the cattle and our donkeys. 

We barely have time to do that these short days before it gets dark. Then it’s time to go inside, fix supper, wash the dishes, crash on the couch and read or watch tv. 

If I’m feeling motivated, I’ll do a few other chores, but once it’s dark, it’s kinda hard to feel motivated. 

Anyway, routines are comforting. They hold us together when things are falling apart. 

I think that is one reason there is so much anxiety and depression since the pandemic began. 

For many, familiar routines no longer exist, and there isn’t much structure to their days. 

It’s difficult when you have young kids at home too, to create  routine and structure, because their wants and needs keep us spinning like a top. 

I struggled with anxiety and depression when I was in my twenties and thirties. 

The book of psalms, prayer and a few books that I stumbled onto helped me keep from drowning in it. 

One book that really helped me doesn’t exactly sound like a mental health book, and it wasn’t necessarily intended to be. 

The book is called Sink Reflections, and the author is the Fly Lady. The book was about organizing and keeping a clean house. 

I don’t remember the Fly Lady’s real name, and I don’t even remember many of her cleaning tips. I do remember that she said she once struggled a lot with depression and the subsequent lack of motivation.

In the book she detailed Baby Steps to getting things done even when you don’t have motivation. 

  Some of the first steps she said that are important to take are to always shine your sink before bed, so that you start the next day with a clean shiny sink.

She also said it is important to get dressed and put on real shoes each morning, even if you are a mom at home or are work from home. 

She recommended establishing a morning routine, and a bedtime routine. 

All excellent pointers to keep us going when we don’t feel like getting off our, umm, asses. 

Greetings from Dolly, Patsy, Ollie and Stevie. And Honey! 

It’s amazing how feelings of lethargy can morph into a surprising amount of energy just by forcing ourselves to take a few baby steps. 

Try it and see for yourself! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...