Saturday, January 14, 2012

This snowy evening calls for a sweet treat

I’ve been craving “blonde” brownies for some time now, but had successfully resisted the urge to bake them--until tonight.  With snow falling, a good book calling my name, and no place else I needed to be, I caved. 

These brownies are a family favorite and are ridiculously easy to bake.  They require just a few basic ingredients, then you can dress them up with chocolate chips or dried cranberries if you want to.  I’ll bet white chocolate chips would be good in them too.

 I know a big scoop of vanilla or butter pecan ice cream is good with blonde brownies while they’re still warm. 

Here’s the very simple recipe, if case you wanna give ‘em a try…

Blonde Brownies

¾ cup flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, ¼ tsp. salt, ¼ cup butter, 1 cup packed light brown sugar, 1 egg, 1 tsp. vanilla, ½ cup chopped nuts

Mix flour, baking powder and salt.  (I omit baking powder and salt if I’m using self-rising flour.) Set flour mixture aside.  In a saucepan, melt butter; remove from heat.  Stir in sugar until well mixed.  Beat in egg and vanilla until blended.  Stir in flour mixture, then nuts. Toss in some chocolate chips or dried cranberries, if desired.  Spread in greased 8 x8 x 2 inch pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges.   Double all ingredients to fill a 9 x 13 inch pan. 

I’ll bet you can’t sit still and eat these.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...