Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"Corn pone" makes me happy!

Today...

...on not-quite wordless Wednesday...

      ....just because it makes me happy when my cornbread turns out nice and golden...

...(which is pretty much all the time, heh-heh)...

         ...(We will not, however, discuss my unpredictable gravy)...

Ta-da!!!

 Check out this crust...


...ideal for smearing with butter...

and great for making cornbread salad if you have leftovers...
which I did, so you can guess what I had for supper. 

Yep, Cornbread Salad. 

Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing (bottled or prepared from packet)
a good-sized chunk of cornbread, crumbled
canned pinto or kidney beans
canned whole kernel sweet corn (or not)
canned sliced black olives
red onion, chopped
green onions, sliced
tomatoes, chopped
shredded Cheddar cheese,
bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
or chopped ham will work...this is a good clean-out the fridge dish. 
I like to sub a small chopped dill pickle, too, if perchance I don't have black olives.  
Crumble the cornbread and sprinkle half of it in the bottom of a glass bowl. Pour enough dressing over the cornbread to cover it.
Drain all the canned vegetables, and layer over cornbread with dressing. Add onions, tomatoes, then cheese and bacon. 
Add another layer of crumbled cornbread, dressing, and other toppings. Finish with cheese and bacon. 

Dig in and enjoy!  Yeeeee-haw!









No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...