Monday, January 16, 2012

Meatless Monday meal really "hit the spot"

Still tasty after three months in the freezer!


The only thing green in my garden is a few greens, of course, and the hardiest cole weather crops. 

That’s why I’m glad I took the time to store some extra garden produce in the freezer late last summer.

The past weekend’s wintry weather left me craving veggies, so I pulled a bag of frozen corn and a bag of sliced green tomatoes from the “deep freeze” this afternoon. 

 I sautéed the corn in a little bit of butter, and oven-fried the green tomatoes.

I chunked up some white potatoes, sweet potatoes, an onion and a head of cauliflower, tossed the mixture in some olive oil, then salted and peppered it good.  I spread it all on a cookie sheet and slid it into the oven to roast at 400 degrees.

Roasted root vegetables are unbelievably sweet and good after they caramelize in the oven.

 I baked cornbread sticks along with the vegetables. 

The cornbread sticks were tasty with the meal, and even better spread with butter and homemade pear sauce as desert. 

I can’t say that I missed the meat at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...