Sunday, November 13, 2016

The return of the white death

Despite the warning from the weatherman that temps would fall below freezing last night, I wasn't really prepared for them to plunge to 24!
I didn't walk around the yard and say goodbye to my blooming plants before the frost came. I didn't pick a few to enjoy inside just a few more days.
I didn't admire my window boxes one last time or gather that basil.
When morning came, the white death had visited. That first killing frost.
Plants were blackened and limp...the leaves were dropping fast.
We've had possibly the longest summer in history, but I still wasn't ready to let go.
It was inevitable,  but still. It hurt, and I have regrets.
Frost is a grim reaper, but I love the way it looks on the landscape. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...