Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Day 21 of NaBloPoMo: Thanksgiving Plans and Preparations


Today's prompt: What are your plans for Thanksgiving and how are you preparing? 

My plans for Thanksgiving are pretty much the same as they've been about all my life: go to Mom and Dad's on Thanksgiving Day for a mid-day meal, then go to my husband's mom and dad's on the Sunday after Thanksgiving for another big meal. 

We are very fortunate to still have both sets of parents.  Both our moms had some pretty major health scares this year, so to still have them with us is one more reason to be grateful.

For tomorrow's dinner, I plan to make a big salad and a pan of cornbread dressing.  Mom bakes the turkey and makes giblet gravy, and the rest of us bring a couple of sides and a dessert or two.  I have four siblings, so our table and every other available surface in the kitchen is typically loaded with food.  

I volunteered to bake the turkey and make dressing for the Sunday dinner, so there's a large turkey thawing in the fridge for that event.  

I had the day off today, or so I thought, until I received a text about a group of girl scouts cooking a big Thanksgiving meal to take to 50 shut-ins.  Would I like to come take some pictures for the paper? 

How could I refuse a request like that? 

The extension office kitchen was busy as a bee-hive as a couple of adults and about a dozen girls of varying ages iced cakes, stirred mashed potatoes, and finished all the last minute preparations before dishing out the food into delivery trays. Heartwarming, indeed. 

After I left there, I grabbed a few more salad items I needed at the grocery and made a couple of other stops, then I headed back home. 

One little errand required me to drive this road, aptly named Jake's Heavenly Highway. My parents and our daughter, plus all three brothers, live on this road. I'm glad this is the extent of my travels.  I saw the news tonight showing the crowded interstates and airports.  Yes, I'm glad to not be traveling far from home. 

Back at the house, I took a nice walk across the farm with my hubby as we checked on the cattle.  

We worked up a good appetite; it's a good thing I had made a pot of soup last night.   I made hoe cakes and fried green tomatoes, and we pigged out.  

A neighbor had given us a pint of very local honey back in late summer--talk about something good!  
My fried cornbread smeared with Kerrygold butter and drizzled with golden delicious honey!  Yum!  You can't sit still while you eat it. 

I've been chopping vegetables for tomorrow's dressing and salad...basking in the afterglow of a golden late-November day...and feeling thankful for the simple things.  

That's about it, folks! I hope your heart gets as full tomorrow as your belly as you ponder your blessings.  

See the little sunbeam angel at the base of the trees?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...