Sunday, November 18, 2018

Day 18 of NaBloPoMo: Sunday strolls and other reflections



I can't think of a better way to unwind than walking country roads.  There's always something to see, and when your company is great, that makes it even better. 



It's been a relaxing weekend pretty much all weekend long.  The hubs and I went out to eat last night, and we bought some things to fill shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child.

I'm not much of a shopper, and I was feeling a bit "blah" about the things I bought to put in the box.

As I picked up a doll, some crayons, a couple of toothbrushes, a yo-yo, etc., some voice in the back of my mind was saying, "Now who is really gonna want that cheap junk?"

Yeah, my inner Grinch flared up.

But we got the boxes filled and took them to church this morning where they will be transported to one of the local distribution hubs, and eventually, the boxes will be dispersed to many places in the world.

At church some photos were shared of some smiling children who had just received their shoe boxes.  One of the men in one of the photos was wearing a pair of flip flops made from an old tire.  These particular recipients live in a village where there are no roads.  To put it mildly, it is pretty remote and the people are very poor.

That gave me a shot of reality, as I better imagined how the items that seemed pretty unexciting to me as I purchased them might be greatly appreciated by someone else.

And it was a needed reminder of how we take things for granted.  I thought we were back-woodsy when we were growing up, but our roads were paved when I was a kid.

And I can remember how receiving little trinkets was quite a thrill to me.

Our feeble efforts to do something good for someone in need might make more of a difference than we know.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...