Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Day 20 of NaBloPoMo2018: I'm thankful for my daughters

Today's writing prompt says to write about something I am thankful for.

There is so much for which to be thankful, and I could probably write lengthy essays about many of my blessings.

But since I enjoyed visits with both my daughters today, and they are fresh on my mind, I am reminded of how thankful I am for both of them.

I took lunch to our youngest daughter, who has a newborn-a very hungry newborn-who demands so much of Mommy's attention that Mommy neglects to feed herself sometimes.

It's a good thing she's got ol' mom to take her a bite on occasion.  ðŸ˜‡

That's the thing about being a mom.  You just never stop being one. From the time you give birth to your babies, they capture your heart with a deep, primal love that is sometimes shocking with the force of it.

There's a reason we get labeled "mama bears." We will take care of our cubs!

I watch my baby girl cradling her baby girl with such tenderness, and I see how ferocious her love is for her.  It's a beautiful thing.

And it's a bittersweet thing, because at my ripe old age, I now realize parenting is filled with seasons of letting go.

There's plenty of time to enjoy, you just have to embrace the seasons and savor them.

Later in the day, I had a little visit with our oldest daughter.  We discussed some big decisions she's making in the near future, and we marveled together at how quickly her kids are growing up.  She's learning too that they don't always need us like they did when they were newborns.

Part of parenting is weaning ourselves from our children, just as they were weaned from us as babies.  That "weaning" carries so many emotions with it.  Joy, pride, excitement, and at times, grief for the sense of loss that comes with it.

I'm a grandmother now, and I'm still a bit surprised to find myself in this stage of my life already.

I've been a mom with newborns, a mom with toddlers, a mom with preschoolers, middle schoolers, high schoolers, college students...then, I've been an empty nester.

I've been the mom to gain "children" (in the form of my daughters' friends and significant others), and now I have three grandchildren.

I feel like quite the veteran mom, because I've lived through all these stages.  Now I get to observe my daughters experience them with their kids.

It's an interesting place to be.

The joy of it is, after the dust settled, I've realized that not only have I raised daughters, but I've gained lifelong friends.

For that, I thank the good Lord with all my heart.











Daughters (and sons) are the gift that keeps on giving! 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...