Wednesday, November 6, 2019

There's beauty in the simple things

What a pretty fall day we've been privileged to experience!

Because winter seems determined to arrive early this year, I've been foraging-again.

Today I helped Dad gather in greens for Mom to can. He wanted to harvest some before the temperatures plunge below 20 or so. They can withstand a lot of cold, but not that much.

Dad's knees have been bothering him,  so I offered to help.  
We spent an enjoyable couple of hours in the bright sunshine, picking mustard and turnip greens and just talking about lots of things.

I brought some home with me, and they'll be a real treat if we're stuck inside this weekend.

My family loves greens, boiled tender and seasoned with bacon grease. That's how Mom cooks them, but I sometimes just give mine a quick saute in some olive oil. Either way, they are tasty!

Isn't this turnip top pretty with that ladybug perched up there? 


What a turnip patch...plenty of mustard greens too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...