Thursday, November 21, 2019

Heritage farmers and such

Just look at this pearly pink sky! 

Our view this morning, and nearly all mornings, but I'm continually amazed at how the same mountains change their appearance in different seasons, different weather, different times of day.

There's always something new to see and appreciate, if we just keep our eyes open.  


This blogpost will be brief.  After work, I had the annual Kiwanis Farm-City Banquet to cover, so we haven't been home long.
This happens to be a favorite event of mine, because I know how hard farmers work and how deserving they are of recognition, or at least, of being appreciated.  
Sometimes people don't appreciate what they may consider an humble class of people, but I'll be sure and point out yet again, if you ate today, you can thank a farmer.  
And if you are really fortunate, you'll know your farmer, and where your food comes from.  Otherwise, your groceries might very well have been shipped from hundreds or even thousands of miles away.  
Imagine the quality that must be sacrificed when we buy food like that.   Ironically, it may look perfect, but there's something unnatural to me about perfect-looking food that's been transported across the country and setting on a shelf for weeks--or longer.  
Obviously, there aren't enough of us growing local food to keep everyone supplied all year round, or even ourselves, so I'm not necessarily being judgmental.  
I just think it's sad, and it's something that needs to change.  We should be able to source everything we need from within a much smaller radius (with the obvious exception of bananas and citrus, etc.) 
One reason there aren't many people growing local food?  Most other jobs don't depend on the weather.  And many, I daresay, are easier. 
Well, that's my ramble for the night. I probably ought to go to bed soon, before I really start to make sense.  Ha! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...