Thursday, November 7, 2019

Our Yankee Doodle Dandy


What could be cuter than a half dozen classes of second graders wearing red, white and blue and singing patriotic songs?

Not much, I'm sure.

What fun to watch, some of them relishing the attention, some fidgeting and goofing off a little, and some preferring to blend into the background.  

But I'll bet most of those kids will remember the songs they performed tonight when they are my age.
Heck, I remember most of those songs from my childhood, and I still enjoy singing them...Yankee Doodle Dandy, America the Beautiful, God Bless the USA. 
I can get misty-eyed over them about any time, but when eight year olds sing them, they are even sweeter.

Watching our Clay-bug have a good time with his friends, I had a fashback.

Eight years ago.

He had just come off the ECMO machine a few days prior.  He was a little better but still a very sick baby boy, very fragile. 
Tubes and wires helped sustain him, and he would be on a ventilator for years to come.

And, he would give his family and the medical staff at UK NICU several more scares in the 8 months  that he'd spend there before he got to come home.

That all seems like a bad dream now.

I don't think any of us really like to dwell on those days, but we can't help but revisit them from time to time. As we should. 
I certainly don't want to ever forget how far our Clay-bug has come. It's almost easy to, though. And at one time in our lives, I never thought I'd ever say that.

So, yeah. What a treat to watch those little Yankee Doodle Dandies, our little Yankee Doodle Dandy. 

Thank you, Lord.





No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...