Monday, November 28, 2011

'Tis the season...to pack on pounds

I’m not sure why Christmas needs to be celebrated with excessive amounts of food, but apparently it does.

Magazines, newspapers, websites, and cooking shows all bid us to try tempting recipes for sweet and savory treats during the holidays. 

I love to look at photos of beautifully prepared food.  I’ve been meaning to try one of the new sweet and salty brownie recipes I’ve been seeing a lot of lately.

I’m a sucker for sweets, I’ll have to admit.  I have several favorites, like these fudge recipes that family members have come to expect at holiday dinners.  If I don’t bring them, they look at me funny. 

This peanut butter fudge recipe is ridiculously easy.  And the chocolate fudge recipe isn’t much harder.  Both are guaranteed to make your jeans fit tighter. 

You don’t believe me? Try some and see for yourselves! 

Peanut Butter Fudge:

2 cups sugar

½ cup milk

Cook this for 3 minutes after it starts to boil.  Remove from heat and add 1 small jar of marshmallow crème and 1 ½ cups of peanut butter.  Mix well and pour into a buttered dish.   Yep, that’s it!!

Chocolate Fudge

4 ½ cups sugar

1 lg. can evaporated milk

Cook this for 7 minutes after it starts to boil.  Add 2 sticks Blue Bonnet margarine, 18 oz. chocolate chips, and about a cup of chopped walnuts or pecans if desired.  Mix well and pour into a buttered dish.  Yep, that’s it. 

With both these recipes, it’s very important not to overcook the mixture or your fudge might be grainy.  So don’t forget to set a timer! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...