Monday, November 7, 2011

"Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy"

I’ve been trying to get some work done for the paper this week, but it’s hard to concentrate on anything besides the baby.

This is a lovely day, though, warm enough for me to bring my computer out to the porch, where I sit in the swing with the sun warming my shoulders.

Our chocolate lab dozes on her side, stretched out on a bed of leaves.  Joplin, our calico kitty, is sprawled under the swing, looking contented just to watch the leaves fall. 

It feels good to be still, just to sit and listen to the peaceful sounds around me.    A light breeze flaps the scarecrow flag hanging from the porch and stirs just a bit of a tinkle out of my wind chime. 

The leaves continue to fall, and they land with a soft splash. It won’t be long until our shade maples will be completely bare.     

Whatever would we do without the balm that is sunshine…without the warm feel of it that soaks into my fuzzy pullover, or the golden look of it that chases away the shadows? 

It’s good to know that the sun is always shining…somewhere. 

Maybe it’s selfish of me, but I’m glad the sun is shining today…on me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...