Thursday, November 17, 2011

Meeting souther writer Lee Smith = a red letter day!

Pretty exciting, huh?  Not as exciting as getting to have lunch with her, I’m sure—as did our daughter Chelsea.    

Chelsea, a student at Berea College, is taking an Appalachian Literature class taught by Silas House, an esteemed Appalachian writer in his own right.  The class read and discussed Smith’s best-known book, “Fair and Tender Ladies.”

House invited Chelsea and a few more students from an organization called “Bereans for Appalachia” to join Smith and himself for lunch. 

Chelsea was privileged to sit beside Smith and listen to her tell funny stories about her friendship with Dolly Parton.

Smith later gave the weekly convocation address, which was open to the entire student body and the public. 

Although I didn’t get a lunch invitation, *sigh*, I made a bee-line for the Phelps Stokes auditorium at 3:00 to catch Smith’s talk.

Afterward, I bought two of her books and had opportunity to meet her when she signed them. 

I’m not really into fawning over celebrities, but I’ll have to admit I get pretty juiced about meeting some of my favorite authors. 

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got some reading to catch up on… 




No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...