Saturday, February 1, 2020

A brand new month, and we are that much closer to spring





It's February already, that shortest month of all that typically feels longest, because cloudy skies seem endless, the fields are still muddy, and there's not much color in the landscape.

But! There are hopeful hints that spring will be here very soon.

Just look at how lush and green the wheat cover crop is!  (I've been putting a leash on Honey when we take walks because she likes to race across the road--without looking both ways.)
And I see hints of green in the pasture, daffodils setting buds by the sidewalk, even a crocus blooming!

We had a calf born last week--another uneventful birth. Thank the Lord for that!
Last year at this time we were really struggling.  It was colder and so much muddier. The mud just about got the best of man and beast alike last winter.

Our tomato seeds came in last week, so we gotta sow, sow, sow...

If you can believe it, I had a tomato from our hoop house with supper tonight.  It had to ripen in the house after I picked it in December, I think, but I can now say I've had a homegrown tomato in February.  A first!






No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...