Thursday, October 13, 2011

My very first blog post!

Not a very intriguing title, I must admit, but I've got to start somewhere.

Although I love writing features for the newspaper, I sometimes find that kind of writing a bit restrictive.  I don't have the freedom to share my personal thoughts and feelings about the things I learn and the people I meet.   

Therefore, I thought I'd try blogging as a means to expand on the events of my life and community with all the sap and sentimentality I can muster. 

Just kidding!

I do hope to record for all posterity the hillbilly way--OR the ways of seein', sayin' and doin' that are particular to this mountain area. 

We often get a bad rap here in the foothills of Kentucky, but I'm here to tell ya we're not as bad off as some might think.  For one thing, we live in one of the prettiest places in the world--according to those who have traveled the world. 

Although I'm not well-traveled, I can tell you that I never get tired of resting my gaze on the beautifully worn hills of one of the oldest mountain chains in the world. 

For another thing, I have as neighbors some of the most decent hard-working people anywhere.  Again, keep in mind that I'm not a world traveler--but I do read newspapers.

Most of the older generation that lives in this area aren't particularly well-schooled, but they still have tons of practical living skills. 

They know how to make stuff and fix stuff and cook stuff. 

For example, nearly all my family and friends still know how to grow gardens and "put up" what they produce. 

And they didn't need to attend "re-skill workshops" to learn how to do it, because they never lost their skills in the first place. 

My mother-in-law still butchers her own chickens before she puts dumplins' in the pot with them. 

My dad still grows corn and has his own cornmeal ground by a guy who's run a mill for decades. 

I could go on and on, and I will--but for now I'll stop. 

I need to go ladle my pearsauce into containers for the deep freeze. (Deep freeze is what we call a freezer.)

"Pearsauce" is just like applesauce only it's made with pears. (I don't even know if pearsauce is a real word.  Perhaps I invented it.  Anyway, it's mighty tasty. )

I'll tell you about the pears next time. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...