Saturday, January 11, 2014

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep


I agree with Robert Frost.  The woods are lovely--dark and deep.

They are cold and mysterious and moody--yet beautiful in a quiet way.

This is still life.

I wish I could step through the page and walk a one-lane deserted road whenever I want.




My siblings, cousins and I played on these cliffs when we were kids.

I love their craggy old faces, the lines that deepen with every ice storm, rainfall, cold snap.









The mist hovers around them like a breath, warm and personal.



                    My pictures below don't do the "frost flowers" justice, which I thought were beautiful on the first sub-zero morning we've seen for a while.



     How can spiky blooms form on sheets of ice on moving water?



   I don't understand how it happens, but it's beautiful.




No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...