Wednesday, June 13, 2012

"....with my song I will praise Him..."

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=10100183822764983

This little video fills my heart with so much joy that it spills down my face. I thank God with everything in me for the gift of little Clay and all that He has taught us through our journey with him. 

I remember last June 13th like it was yesterday. 

Chelsea and I were set up at farmers’ market.  The sun was shining, there wasn’t a cloud in the dazzling blue sky and it was simply a picture perfect late spring day. 

Besides the gorgeous weather, Hannah was going to the doctor, and maybe, just maybe, they could tell her if she was having a girl or a boy.  Life was good. 

Sometime around noon, or before, Hannah called.  “I’m having a boy!”

“You are?” I grinned into the phone. 

“Yes, but they want me to go on to Lexington.”

My smile quickly faded as I asked, “Why?” 

The ultrasound tech at the gynecologist’s office said she couldn’t get a very good picture of the baby’s heart.  She’d made an appointment with a high risk doctor; they could work her in that afternoon.

Hannah didn’t sound too worried as she explained. 

“They said it’s probably nothing to be worried about.”  I felt a chill in my soul, but I tend to be a worry-wart, so I tried to squash my instant reaction of fear. 

Chelsea said she’d ride to Lexington with Hannah, so I could pack everything up and take it home when the market closed in a hour or two. 

I felt uneasy all afternoon.  I finally called Chelsea’s cell phone when I didn’t hear anything for hours.   

“Is everything OK?” 

“Yeeaahh,” she said, in a way that left me doubting.  “I’ll call you back in a few minutes.”

She called back after Hannah had dropped her off at her car. 

“They said the baby has some kind of hernia-thing. Sometimes it’s serious, but sometimes it’s not.  Sissy’s going to stop by and she’ll explain it to you.” 

A little while later, Hannah stopped by with two or three pages of printed information about a rare birth defect called CDH. 

The language was very cold, full of medical terms—but clear. 

Our first grandchild was going to face some life-threatening problems when he was born.  There was a good chance he’d not even make it.  If he did, he’d face surgery a few days after birth.  He might have long-term problems as a result of this condition we’d never in our lives heard of before that day. 

You know the rest of the story.  Most of you have been here with us through this journey.  You know what a ride it’s been. 

You’ve been right there, pulling for Clay, praying for baby Clay. 

Today, Clay is not only a survivor, he’s an overcomer!

This is the sweetest sound I think I ever heard.  All babies sound sweet, but this little guy has had to learn how to use his vocal cords around a tube inserted into his windpipe. 

Forgive me if I brag, but I think he’s pretty special!   J 

 
“Blessed be the Lord, because He has heard the voice of my supplications!  The Lord is my strength and my shield.  My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart greatly rejoices, and with my song I will praise Him.”  Psalm 28: 6,7


No comments:

Post a Comment

"So great a cloud of witnesses"

Our nine-year old granddaughter was baptized on Sunday, fully-immersed in water that had been warmed in an inflatable hot-tub.   I grew up B...